Located on the front wall of the Town Hall, facing the Market Place are two small Memorial Plaques dedicated to the memory of the fallen of the Sherwood Foresters Regiment in the two World Wars.
The first commemorates the 11,409 men of the Sherwood Foresters who gave their lives in the First World War, whilst the second is dedicated to the memory of the 1520 men of the Regiment who died in the Second World War.
The photograph on the left - taken from an original postcard from the 1920s - shows Buxton's "The Slopes" War Memorial, not long after it was unveiled on the 18th September 1920.
[N.B. It is thought that this image was taken in 1923 by Francis Frith and ironically was purchased at a postcard fair - in Buxton!.]
In the background is the rear of the Town Hall.
BUXTON BOER WAR MEMORIAL:
This Memorial commemorates the 15 men from the town who served in the Boer War [South African War] and in particular Sergeant W. H. Perkins, who was killed in action.
Also named on this Memorial is Corporal (later) Sgt. William Chamberlain PERKIN, who re-enlisted in Canada and died on the 18th May 1915, serving with Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry. Canadian Archives show that William "Died of wounds - Gunshot wound, leg amputated at No. 3 General Hospital" on the 18th May 1915. He is buried at Le Treport.
The Memorial is located half way up the staircase, to the rear of the building, and is not easily accessible to the public. [N.B. In 1985 the board was discovered on a waste skip by a market trader who insisted that it be re-erected in the Town Hall.]
The inscription on the Great War plaque (left) reads:
"On Crich Hill a Monument is erected in Memory of 11,409 of all ranks of the Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derbyshire) Regiment who gave their lives for King and Country in the Great War 1914 - 1919 whose names are recorded with gratitude and love in Books of Remembrance deposited in Nottingham and Derby and also in honour of all their comrades who gloriously served in 32 Battalions of the same Regiment to the number of 140,000"
N.B. The lighthouse tower at Crich, Derbyshire, was built in 1923 to commemorate the First War dead and in 1952 it was further dedicated to the memory of the 1520 men of the Regiment who died in the Second World War. In 1991 the Memorial was dedicated again to memory of the Sherwood Foresters killed in service 1945 - 1970 and those of the present Regiment who have given their lives in Service to this country.
As well as the main tower the site also contains three individual Memorials, including one to General Sir Horace L Smith-Dorrien, GCB. GCMG. DSO., Colonel of The Sherwood Foresters from 1905 until his death on the 12th August 1930. As Commander of 'D' Corps of the British Expeditionary Force, and contrary to orders, he took the decision to stand and fight at Le Cateau on the 26th August 1914 during the retreat from Mons and in so doing probably saved the BEF from destruction by the advancing German forces.