Private Stanley GULWELL

North Staffordshire Regiment
"E" Company, 3rd Battalion
Service Number:
[Formerly: 44416]
Date of Death:
29 October 1918 - Died
Cemetery / Memorial:
Grave Reference:
South West of Church.

Personal History:

Stanley was born in December 1896, the son of Thomas Henry (Railway Guard) and Emily (née Jones) Gulwell. He had two older brothers, Thomas Henry and Herbert, and a younger sister, Emily and in 1901 (Census RG 13/3270) they lived at 8 Ash Terrace, Fairfield, Buxton.

Stanley's father died in 1907 and in 1911 (Census RG 14/21236) the family was at the same address. When Stanley enlisted, however, he gave the family address as 31 Windsor Road, Fairfield, and his occupation as "Horse Driver at Orams". He was 5 ft. 6 ins. (1.68 m) tall, weighed 7 st. 8 lbs. (48.5 kgs.), had brown hair and grey eyes.

Military History:
Stanley was called up for service and enlisted at Derby on 29th April 1916, "For the Duration of The War". He expressed a desire to join the Notts and Derbyshire Regiment, but was posted to the 3rd Battalion, North Staffs Regiment on the 1st May. Stanley served "At Home", firstly being posted to Wallsend, until the 10th May, before being admitted to Forest Hall Hospital, Glasgow, until the 22nd August 1916 when he was discharged as "Not likely to become an efficient soldier (On Medical Grounds)." He obviously did not serve with the Army abroad and served 117 days with the Colours.

His Pension Records state that on the 13th June 1916 Stanley was examined by Dr. E.C. Slack, R.A.M.C., who concluded that he: "Has constant feeling of weakness and dizziness since joining the Regiment and has been off and on in Hospital for five weeks suffering from fainting attacks. These he has on parade when he drops like a stone. Has little stamina for no apparent reason. Temperature always between 99º and 100º." The assessment was made at Forest Hall Hospital and Stanley was subsequently discharged on medical grounds.

After leaving the Army Stanley must have continued to deteriorate and ended his life in Hospital in Chesterfield. In reporting his funeral on the 9th November 1918, The Buxton Advertiser reported that he was: "Falling into increasing decrepitude he has gradually wasted away and the end came last week in hospital."

Stanley was brought home and buried in his local Churchyard at Fairfield. The Vicar of Fairfield, Rev. E. L. Harkness, conducted the Service. In reporting his funeral 'The Advertiser' stated that: "This young man had served for a year in His Majesty's Armed Forces ..." but this no doubt includes the period from when he was drafted to his call up for active service.

· 'The Buxton Advertiser' - 9 November 1918

Link to CWGC Record
Stanley Gulwell's Grave